Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss lead soil pipe from WC to CI stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjt

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
HI

I have been asked to remove a lead soil pipe which enters a CI stack as it is leaking at the joint with the CI branch - what would be the best way to do this in your respected opinion?

Once removed i presume there is a multikwik fitting that would fit into the branch so that i could run plastic from the WC?

i've not been asked to do this before so i would appreciate your comments

thanks

if the lead is burst where it goes into the stack you will have to remove it completely, once done you will be able to fit pvc pipe into the faucet of the CI and seal it properly then fit a multikwik onto the pan and join them together, if the lead is burst away from the stack you can cut the lead and fit an extention multikwik inside the lead (the easier option) and a multikwik onto the pan

thanks for your reply

it has gone where it has goes into the stack as the guy has put some sort of foam sealant around the joint.

is the lead straight forward to remove?

It will be joined to a brass ferrule as it enters the collar. Cut the lead off then bend the ferrule inwards at a few places and lift it out.

Easiest way to connect the new pvc pipe to the cast collar is with one of these

OSMA - Plumbing & Drainage Products - Connectors - Soil,WC,soil and waste,waste pipe,waste and traps,plastic soil pipe,soil and vent,toilet,aav.

Only Osma do them AFAIK

Or you can just caulk it in with one of these types
OSMA - Plumbing & Drainage Products - Connectors - Soil,WC,soil and waste,waste pipe,waste and traps,plastic soil pipe,soil and vent,toilet,aav
made by just about all

to get the ferrule out of the cast youll need to either heat it up and run the lead out or cut it flush to the collar and then cut internally in two places to split the ferule and pick it out
mostly to join i would just push 4 inch into the cast wedge some paper round inside and use a strong mixed cement joint

HI

I have been and done this job yesterday and successfully replaced the pipe in question - once i removed whatever was hloding the lead in the cast iron socket (it was all quite soft and mushy) the lead just pulled out - thanks for your advice it really helped.

MJT

It is called rope yarn and it will have rotted a bit over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lead soil pipe from WC to CI stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock