Discuss leaking solvent joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spragg

Is there any way of repairing a 40mm boss strap which is connected to 110mm soil and leaking without cutting out and replacing?

Hmm!

I have in the past, cleaned it up with methylated spirit, then the proper solvent weld cleaner or just the cleaner without the methylated spirits. Going careful not to let it drip or mark the pipe elsewhere.

Then apply Gap filling solvent cement, whilst gently easing the strap on bos away from the pipe, just enough to get a bit of filler in between the strap and the pipe and then let it go to return to where it was . Then leave it to set.

What you are trying to do, is make it clean so the solvent weld sticks to both the pipe and the bos strap. By easing it away and then letting it go, you are trying to squeeze a bit of filler under the lip of the bos strap.

It usually sets okay, providing everything is properly cleaned including under the bos strap lip.

Incidentally why has it come apart? Is it an expansion problem? You may have to put some extra clips on the pipework and make sure the expansion is controlled by making proper allowances. Has the pvc been exposed to a lot of sun?
It may be brittle from UV exposure and crack if you cement it in?

Incidentally using gap filler if its done right makes it look a proper job. But if its done wrong it looks as though the "Silicon Kid" has been about.

the names 'kid' - 'silicon kid'
wots up with silicon then?

thats what i'd use, a clear low mo silicon as it will flex with the expansion,
easy and quick is the best in my opinion.

horses for causes silicon is great in the right place
even if you manage to seal with silicon it would only last up to 18 months max and then would come away from plastic and leak again,thats why is is advisable to cut out silicon seals on plastic shower trays and replace every 18 months max,look after a few nice properties and every year when I service boiler also cut out and replace silicon seal on shower, gap filler like the solvent weld actually melts plastic to bond permantly

nice little earner puddle doing it every 18 mnths,
but what stuf do you use?
my silicon has a 10 year gntee, and als have some around my bath for the last 12 years~and on drain pipes for 5 so far?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leaking solvent joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock