Discuss Pipe Bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

I am doing a bathroom refit. Very little pipe bending required. Probably a couple of 20 degree bends to get over an existing pipe and some slight realignments. I was going to treat myself to a pipe bender (£45) but in view of the limited use thought an internal spring (£4) might be better. (can't find my old internal spring anywhere) Any views.

You will get hacked off using a bending spring, believe me. Are you thinking of bending any 22mm pipe with a spring:)

It is much quicker and easier and looks more professional to be able to use a set of pipe benders properly.

Just a few slow bends in 15mm. I'll have a practice Monday and see how I go. Would prefer a bender but for probably 4 slow bends within 18inch of the end of pipes it seems daft to pay £45.

Maybe, but look at that £45 as an investment into your business. Remember time is money.
What you gonna do in the future if you have to do crossovers and offsets, or even 90 degree bends?
By the time you have messed about measuring and inserting the spring into the pipe and then doing the bend, and then getting it out, you could have smashed it out with a set of benders;)

The "sheds" sell ready made crossovers and you can buy 45 degree elbows if this is of any help.

Maybe, but look at that £45 as an investment into your business. Remember time is money.
What you gonna do in the future if you have to do crossovers and offsets, or even 90 degree bends?
By the time you have messed about measuring and inserting the spring into the pipe and then doing the bend, and then getting it out, you could have smashed it out with a set of benders;)

I've done really tight 90 degree bends with a spring. (Mind that was 25 years ago when I was a lot stronger :)). If I was in business I would definitely buy a bender. As I am a retired DIY chap and nearing 60 I hope not to be doing too many more jobs of this type. (Depends on OH :eek:). I have fitted 4 bathrooms and 3 kitchens in the past but I really prefer to walk by the river. ;)

EasyT

The "sheds" sell ready made crossovers and you can buy 45 degree elbows if this is of any help.

Thanks for that. I had forgotten that crossovers were available. Spot on that fella.

EasyT

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair one Easy, if you turned up at home with a set of benders the missus would have you doing all sorts of plumbing jobs:D

If you're serious about being a plumber, buy some benders. Good ones.

Your tools earn your money, and you will use them in the course of your career. I buy new tools constantly, and never scrimp. It's not cost affective in the long run.

I've been doing some searching for benders on websites, I've seen some for as cheep as £15 or as much as about £50, they both had yellow handles and I'm sure they were the same make.

But I've also seen a red handle set by Rothernburger for about £80 I think.

Do you get what you pay for and the sets are a lot better than cheaper ones or are you just paying for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Even though there's a good 3m drop from the coffin tank in the loft above the bathroom, the flow to the new shower I've installed (rated min...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
B
I am attempting to bring hot water to a bath tap via the tee in the attached pic. I've got it working sort of using a push-fit reducer, but...
Replies
Views
btibuzz
B
M
priced a job there for a bathroom swap with shower tray, bath, basin, toilet and chrome towel rad and shower pump at hot water cylinder quoted...
Replies
Views
So you have some fancy porcelain tiles on the job and you think you can just angle grind your way through it to make holes. Right Idea? Well at...
Replies
Views
365drills
S
Got your attention, good. Its a while since I started a thread and this is possibly a bit controversial and I'm hoping for some lively debate...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock