Discuss Potential Soil pipe Blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appear to have done something rather stupid, (which isn't unusual).

I have dropped a wood file (probably around 350mm or so) down the soil pipe.

To cut a long story short, I had the vent pipe off and was removing a small section of pipe that protruded too far into the soil pipe (from the inside). As I pulled my hand out the handle caught somehow and it has dropped down the full vertical length of the soil pipe from the bathroom to somewhere below the kitchen (I presume).

I have tried using string with a magnet on and I am sure it is attaching some of the time but it won't pull back up. Now whether this is because it is stuck in the bend or not I don't know.

I figure I have only a few options, carry on trying to fish it out with a magnet, pour water down and hope that it flushes it out (don't think that's likely to work), or lift my decking in the garden and find the manhole cover and then see if I can somehow get it that way.

I'm also concerned that it could possibly have cracked some pipe somewhere when it fell. Is this likely? It did rattle a lot from side to side as it fell so I don't think it fell with as much force as it could of.

What is the degree of bend at the bottom of the soil pipe? Is it usually a standard bend or does it vary?

Has anyone got any further ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

as it is sharp and metal it could damage the pipe depending what it is made of at the bottom bend, fireclay is very likely to break, plastic maybe break and if cast iron no prob, however there is NO CHANCE of you flushing it down the drain, in saying that you will have a pig of a job getting out, but it will need to come out or you will choke it once it has been used for a couple of days, have a look at the bottom of the stack to see if there is an inspection, dont envy you

Is it a plastic soil pipe?

Could you cut the pipe horizontally just above the ground (leaving enough poking out to joint it) giving you better access and then just joint the pipe back together?

Forgive me if that’s a daft idea, I’m not a plumber :)

Lift the drain point and rod it. a brush might push it up to an access point or a drop scraper might pull it out. The bend at the bottom of the stack should be a long swept radius, 350mm file might get past that making it far easier to remove. might have cracked the clay pipe but if it hit on the slide might be ok. Good luck, either way you should have easy access to the manhole cover - building regs requires it so its a chance to change that.

Thanks all for your comments!

I've been at it all afternoon trying to fish it out with a magnet to no avail.

I've managed to take a few pics at the top of the soil pipe using my digital camera zoomed in and it is definitely not stuck at the bend. So it is either in the horizontal part of the pipe after the bend or has made it to the drain.

Unfortunately the manhole cover is underneath my decking so it looks like I am going to have to take some of my decking up to get access to it.

Job for tomorrow when I've got some light!

Daz

Well I have spent this afternoon taking my decking apart to gain access to the manhole cover.

I've spent a few hours now trying to get the manhole cover lifted. It has no access points on the surface and has no access points round the perimeter either. It appears to have rusted into the frame also.

There is no where to lever the lid open so I cannot fathom how to remove the lid other than to drill a hole through it, drop a drill bit or similar on some wire down and try pulling it up that way. I don't fancy my chances at success doing it this way either. If I have to damage the lid to get it open can I easily buy a replacement lid? Are they standard sizes? Mine is 62.7cm by 48.5cm.

Is there a different technique to lifting one of these up?

Thanks,

Daz

Are there any holes in the cover?You may need these to lift it.

images-13.jpg

whack a hammer and chisel round the rim, to loosen it up, as its under the decking it wont matter if you belt it a bit

If its that old the holes have probably filled with crud and rust making them look non existant, tap around the short edges on the centre line about 3/4" in.. I had one like this, holes were filled with concrete (not by me) had to use big screwdriver on edge, bent a few - turned out to be a 30ton lid as used on highways! Easily replaced and cheap too.

I think by the time you get the manhole cover up it may have been swept past. Toilet roll and the like will drag it along but it will stick at the first branch. Most certainly will give you problems in the future if you don't get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potential Soil pipe Blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock