Discuss quality training 4 new to gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrianfs1

hi all, been browsing for a while, now time to ask. im from richmond north yorkshire, trained to nvq level 2 plumbing, was/am interested in getting into the gas trade, however am self employed. cant just drop employment to train with gas engineer even if i could find one to help out, not blaming them ie slowing them down, possible future competitor etc, looking for maybe a training centre who will teach all that is required and maybe provide a work placement does anyone know of one or am i just wasting my time, at this rate the country is going to run out of british gas engineers due to retirement and end up with nobody but the foreign imports (nothing against them) but what else is this country going to lose. all replies welcome, cheers.

there is no short cut to gas experience. if you are alredy working in the trade you must know other engineers, why not try and work alongside them to gain experience, if your any good at plumbing then they should pay you for your time if your any good and then you can get the time on the job to coplete your portfollio of work. if your going to throw in boiler into peoples houses shouldnt you be trying to get an equivalent to a 6129 level 3 certificate/nvq 3 to learn how to design heating systems and learn the basics of gas work first?
you say your self employed, so you can do one day a week at your local college or evenings in order to achieveyour aims. Before you hit back with I cant afford it, what do you know etc etc, I did all Ive suggested over 4 yrs whilst self employed as ca plumber from scratch and am now gas safe registered and still working on my own. Its not easy and youll only do it if you put in the effort, and I was 45 when i started. Oh and this country isnt going to run out of gas engineers whilst people like myself are plugging along and proving to all those of less experience that it can be done.

thanks for your input old plumber, i am also 45 years young, i have researched taking on the nvq 3 but all the courses i have found involve the acs of which i need to work with a qualified gas safe engineer, i have and still do encounter working alongside gas engineers and believe it or not they all say " i have not got the time" there are not many tasks within the plumbing industry that i have not accomplished although i have had to ask for help or advice on a few occassions, i appreciate that gas is not water and can come with devistating consequences, but the powers that be make it extremely difficult to even learn, i am not by any means looking for a fast track into the trade it will take as long as it takes.

hi all, been browsing for a while, now time to ask. im from richmond north yorkshire, trained to nvq level 2 plumbing, was/am interested in getting into the gas trade, however am self employed. cant just drop employment to train with gas engineer even if i could find one to help out, not blaming them ie slowing them down, possible future competitor etc, looking for maybe a training centre who will teach all that is required and maybe provide a work placement does anyone know of one or am i just wasting my time, at this rate the country is going to run out of british gas engineers due to retirement and end up with nobody but the foreign imports (nothing against them) but what else is this country going to lose. all replies welcome, cheers.

We are not running out of gas safe engineers, the amount has risen over the past 10 years. We have no need to worry about those who retire or 'imports' as you put it

as that maybe, forgive me for not believing that, i have contacted over 80 large and small companies and i have recieved only 1 reply no wonder i am disillusioned

as that maybe, forgive me for not believing that, i have contacted over 80 large and small companies and i have recieved only 1 reply no wonder i am disillusioned

doesnt that fact prove i am right, you only have one reply and i say we are not short of engineers?

there is no shortage of plumbers or engineers stop believing the crap the training companies are spewing out

there is no shortage of plumbers or engineers stop believing the crap the training companies are spewing out

they dont want to believe it and so daont, then accuse us of trying to shut the door on them???????????

If there was a shortage of engineers, don't you think that you would have had more replies, from people only too happy to take you on. I seem to get at least 1 email/approach a week from people like yourself asking for help on their portfolio. I have had two working with me in the past and to be honest they weren't much of a help.

If there was a shortage of engineers, don't you think that you would have had more replies, from people only too happy to take you on. I seem to get at least 1 email/approach a week from people like yourself asking for help on their portfolio. I have had two working with me in the past and to be honest they weren't much of a help.

usaually slow you down as they are under your feet and ask many questions. Everyone has to learn I know but easier to train someone over 4 years with the college backing up the expereince than someone looking to do it in 2 to 3 weeks.

harsh but honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to quality training 4 new to gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2...
Replies
Views
Is there anyone on here that has recently completed there NVQ level 3 in plumbing and heating including gas training as one of your elements? I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have recently passed the ACS Gas Qualifications, joined the Gas Safe register and have passed the initial probation meeting with...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock