Search the forum,

Discuss Regs for internal condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emergencyman

At present Heatsave combi in bathroom with condensate with long run outside in 3/4".

Plan is to connect internally to existing 32mm waste from basin. Bottom of boiler is slightly lower than top of basin.

If I connected under floor boards using a tee and a bung to reduce to 3/4 I could run 3/4" about 6 foot and connect here.

Concern is that might not be to regs as if pipe from sink blocked outside then when basin emptied the boiler could fill up.

Would a T then 32mm to under boiler, HEPVO valve then bung o 3/4" be to regs? Any suggestions please?

Yes with the addition of an air break. If the pipework backs up to the hepvo valve and the boiler keeps condensing it will still back the boiler up without one.

Thanks,

But with an air break (as in a tun dish?), if the basin waste did block outside condensate would then go onto the bathroom floor, causing a leak below?

I doubt it would ever lock up anyhow, just trying to keep BG happy? Is the air break essential?

Concern is that might not be to regs as if pipe from sink blocked outside then when basin emptied the boiler could fill up.

?

You're over thinking this.

The same arguement would apply to any condensate or other waste directly connected to a waste stack downstairs in a house.

If the stack below the condensate blocked and someone emptied a bath the boiler could fill up with bath water and the sink and the washing machine and the dishwasher.

Last edited:
hepvo valves instructions state its not suitable for boiler prv water i think.

hepvo valves instructions state its not suitable for boiler prv water i think.

Hepvo is suitable for unvented if fitted vertically, so I would have thought it ok for boiler, but would need to read up MI to confirm

Hepvo is suitable for unvented if fitted vertically, so I would have thought it ok for boiler, but would need to read up MI to confirm

just done some flats to which we fitted hepvo's on the unvented, we were supprised to read they are not suitable for heating system water. first time we had notcied this on the MI, not sure if its a new statement or not.

seems strange which made us question the sense of it.

Thanks,

But with an air break (as in a tun dish?),

DO NOT use a tundish for boiler condensate. If the boiler is off a while and syphon evaporates, or syphon is blown empty by explosive ignition, fumes will be entering the property, killing the customers and you will be having a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure and a sore arris!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
¾" Non-Return Valve | McAlpine Plumbing Products

use this main_mcallR28NRV_5.jpg

Thanks, so its straight out of the boiler in 3/4, through the above non return valve and into a tee under the floor?
No Tun dish or air break?

At present Heatsave combi in bathroom with condensate with long run outside in 3/4".

Plan is to connect internally to existing 32mm waste from basin. Bottom of boiler is slightly lower than top of basin.

If I connected under floor boards using a tee and a bung to reduce to 3/4 I could run 3/4" about 6 foot and connect here.

Would a T then 32mm to under boiler, HEPVO valve then bung o 3/4" be to regs? Any suggestions please?

Heatslave combi?

thats an oily guys ;)

Something doesn't add up here.

EM can you please confirm it's an oil heatslave and tell us how it's mounted on a wall?

Something doesn't add up here.

EM can you please confirm it's an oil heatslave and tell us how it's mounted on a wall?

Moneys on Some madman has put it mounted up in the airing cupboard.

i wish i could joke about that one.....

Ok, Here we go.

Are you trying to tell me that I need to be Gas safe to extend a condensate pipe?

For the record I was Corgi registered for over 10 years but packed in, wishing to focus on other areas of work. I have over 25 years experience, leaving Leeds CB in 1989.

Nowadays I employ a Gas safe engineer part time for any GAS jobs that come my way. " Why didn't you ask him" I her you say. I did, and like you guys on here I got a different answer. I thought I would ask on here to get a definite answer (still struggling, but thanks for all the replies).

Ok, Here we go.

Are you trying to tell me that I need to be Gas safe to extend a condensate pipe?

For the record I was Corgi registered for over 10 years but packed in, wishing to focus on other areas of work. I have over 25 years experience, leaving Leeds CB in 1989.

Nowadays I employ a Gas safe engineer part time for any GAS jobs that come my way. " Why didn't you ask him" I her you say. I did, and like you guys on here I got a different answer. I thought I would ask on here to get a definite answer (still struggling, but thanks for all the replies).

Theoretically if the trap fails then it forms part of the flue..........

M I make no reference to a scenario where the boiler is lower than the basin.

I think (I stand to be corrected) that MI for Worcester Bosch state bottom of boiler soul be 100mm higher, this is what got me thinking.

Theoretically if the trap fails then it forms part of the flue..........

If your saying that you need to be GS to extend a condensate pipe then fair enough, but is the 3/4" overflow pipe classed as part of the flue?

My opinion is that the whole condensate run is part of the flue, but I can see the issue with a plumber complaint that he/she can fit a 4"x 1.25" branch better than "just" a gas engineer

It's one of them grey areas and depends on the trap in use imho.

If the trap holds the seal all well and good, but should the trap seal fail......

Well I never knew that. It used to be the case that one had to interrupt the supply of gas. Do you have a link to an official document please?

Does it stop been part of the flue when it meets a bigger pipe? 32mm? 110mm?

if there's waste pipes in the floor connect to one of those. hepvo's are fine for waste but not sure if condense would eat the rubber bit or what would happen with backing up waste also if that was put on to stop basin waste going into the boiler then if that happened the condense cant get out so it would have the same effect ( ie boiler filling up). under floor is best, keep it inside if poss. dont worry about the basin waste backing up.

As far as I am aware, anything after the condensate trap is a waste pipe not a gas fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Regs for internal condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock