Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Removing Cylinder Foam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crimelord

I have a few hot water cylinders just wondering if there is any tips for getting the foam removed from them !!

Don't bother. Take them foam and all to the scrappies. He won't mind.

I use a blunted wood chisel and a floorboard chisel, get in behind it and pull it off. Parental supervision is advised though !

Machete does a quick good job, but I always feel like a couple of pints afterwoods cos it looks like yer slicing a giant Kebab

sledge hammer takes 5 minutes,btw your scrappy will pay less for a foam cylinder has they have to remove it

Mine doesnt give as much if there coated in foam, he likes em bare back !

Well I'll count myself lucky that my scrappy is such a decent bloke. Even if they always look miserable when you turn up with scrap for them. (Never understood that).

the best tool you have for this is your apprentice, he may not be very sharp or quick but normally gets there in the end!

Most will deduct a kilo from the weight for insulation.
If you have the time cut the threads off it with an angle grinder (just cut a square). then stick it in with the copper for a couple of quid more.

went to see my best friend to me ,but not so much to tax man !!!
2 cylinders and few bags of scrap -800 :)
did not bother separating all on the scale £4 -1kilo

I slice the foam vertically with a sharp blade then scrape it off with a chisel - it'll come apart a bit like tangerine segments.

My scrappie gives a lot more for de-foamed cylinders with the tops cut off and all the scale emptied out.

just thump it a few times with a sledge the copper mashes up and the foam falls off simple

took down two cylinders other day foam and brass removed got £110, he told me with foam half price . easiest way to remove foam is to t
beat it like your apprentice

Mr TP says just leave the foam on.
He has also forced me to drink too much wine (so sorry for tyos) annd he told me this story:
in 19992 on a Lang building site (I can't tell you know more to protect the guilty).
A New plumber started on 2nd fix Mr TP showed him the site and said they meet at lunch time in plot 42 if he wanted a break or he could carry on working.
New plumber said he hadn't worked on new build site for a long time. Mr TP assured him that 2 second fixes a week were possible once he had a routine.
At lunch Mr TP dropped by to the new guy, to see how he was getting on.
New Guy, " I haven't got much done."
Why?
New Guy, "It has taken all morning to get the packing of the cylinder."
Mr TP? "What Packing?"
New Guy, "The Yellow stufff."

Mr TP laughed, " I like your sense of humour, we are going to get on."
No kidding.
Mr TP went with him and half the insulation off the cylinder had been stripped.
Mr TP
Really!
This is so funny we are laughing now.
Mr TP went and told all the p;umbers at lunch and they thought he was joking!

All cylinder s had foam insulation for about 7 years by this time but Mr TP and I are old enough to remember days when the copper cylinders were bare!

Last edited by a moderator:
use a spade to get the insulation off, so much quicker and easier. My local scrappy gives £15 for a normal cylinder with insulation and scale and £65 if its cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing Cylinder Foam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock