Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Shower pump choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NickP88

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me out with this, I'm not an expert so apologies in advance for my own simpleton level of understanding of the issue.

The other week my shower pump burnt out, a Triton T450i, which was gravity fed from the tank and then itself fed my electric shower. Having read pretty poor reviews of the pump and the shower not really being particularly powerful, I opted to replace it with a Stuart Turner pump, however this failed to kick in and when I spoke with their support, they said whilst the spec of the pump suggested it would be a suitable replacement it wouldn't however be suitable for an electric shower.

So basically, I don't want to have to buy another Triton T450i, for starters they take 4 days to order in and I've already been showering out of a bucket for a week, also it wasn't particularly great anyway. However, it surely isn't the only positive head pump on the market for electric showers????

Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative? (ideally one I can pick up at screwfix!)

Appreciate any help,

Many thanks,

Nick

You need a negative head single impeller pump for an electric shower.

Thanks for your response.

Well this is what i'm confused by, as the Triton T450i is a single impeller positive head pump, and looks like it had been in there for years running fine.

Negative head pumps appear to be quite a bit pricier also, do you know whether a regenerative pump such as this might do the job? Salamander Pumps CT55+ Regenerative Shower Pump 1.6bar | Shower Pumps | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks

Usually an electric shower will not function on a positive head shower pump as there's not enough initial flow to activate the switch inside it that turns it on. The pump you described is also a positive head shower.

My bad, did say I wasn't an expert ha.

Previously it was set up so that you'd pull a cord next to the shower that would prime the pump, you then had a few seconds to switch the shower on and it would go. The Stuart & Turner pump didn't seem to have any way of wiring that in. I'm guessing the previous Triton one is designed for that purpose and no others seem to have that capability, frustrating as it's pretty weak.

Thanks

a negative head pump gets around this by having a pressure solemoid inside that detects if an outlet is open. Then once detected it will fire up. However this extra technology is reflected in the price.

Please register with us to receive additional answers to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi my triton shower suddenly had no water coming out after Thames water doing work outside my house, the shower just started buzzing with no water...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock