Discuss Shower waste hits joist slightly in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

Got a cracking deal on a stone resin shower tray but unfortunely it hits the joist slightly.

https://i.*********/AFYfZDm.png

The joist is around 3.25" wide and 6.75" tall, and I would have to cut out a vertical notch from the joist of 1.15" (at the max, it will probably be less than this) for it to fit.

Would this be acceptable, or shoud I consider a different approach?

Thank you.

You will significantly weaken the joist with your notch. You'd need to ask a structural engineer whether this is an issue in your circumstances. If so, it's usually possible to reinforce joists by 'sistering' them but you need to think about how waterproof your method will be in the event of a leak. The structural engineer will be able to specify materials and methods.

You could do that but you will need to sister the timber to the nearest span / load point

Reply to Shower waste hits joist slightly in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am really struggling with how to do the waste pipework from a shower tray and would appreciate any advice on the best approach to take. The...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi I'm adding a shower in my loft and the waste is going to be long one, routing downstairs into the 40mm waste after the bath, and the advice...
Replies
Views
I am fitting a shower tray upstairs. I want to run 42mm shower waste pipe for a run of 1. 6m. The problem I have is that I would have to drill a...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, Just bought a shower tray only to find the waste is slap bang over a joist. I really don't want to build a step up. Can I .. hear...
Replies
Views
Gray0689
G
M
im currently working on a house - a lot of plumbing, kitchen and bathroom. now the bathroom ive lifted the floor boards today to have a look at...
Replies
Views
plumber0808
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock