Search the forum,

Discuss solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bar looking unsightly are solder snots ruining down the pipe from the above fitting a problem. Guy I work with does this. Looks bad but is on a first fix so underfloor pipework that will never be seen.

simple get a file 5 seconds and done

Thanks its the fittings were the joint is horizontal he is feeding the solder in to ends up all down the pipe with no attempt to brush off.etc

Probably loading the fittings a bit if they're not going to be accessible

Bar looking unsightly are solder snots ruining down the pipe from the above fitting a problem. Guy I work with does this. Looks bad but is on a first fix so underfloor pipework that will never be seen.

I wouldn't worry about underfloor pipework, as long as it's leak free it's all good. With visible pipework I always clean the pipe with my flux brush to brush off any excess solder while it's still hot enough and then when it's cooler clean off the excess flux with a rag

Then when it's all done a quick buff with wire wool and it looks mint.

If you've got a snots on the pipe its not a problem if its not seen, although a wet rag and while the pipe straight away should remove them or re heat the snot and whipw it off with a wet rag

Far worse than snots are solder icicles. No idea how they form but are lethal to fingers of an unprepared plumber.

If it is a Yorkshire fitting and solder runs down the pipe on a vertical fitting, then it is wrong because the solder has basically run out of the fitting.
I can't see why plumbers leave solder running down pipes, but if a hidden joint has been carefully end fed solder and a slight drip of solder is missed in wiping the joint I wouldn't worry about it if the joint inside is fully soldered.
If a plumber can't wipe any excess solder to tidy and complete a soldered joint, I don't think they are worth employing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm a complete notice and I working on my heatings motorised valves on my S plan system. I was modifying the system to add an arrester. Long story short, I made a bodge of the soldering due to persistent tiny water dribbling in the pipe being soldered which I overlooked despite the system being...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have this 3.25mm lead-free grade 99c solder wire. I know that the good practice to bend the wire before soldering so you know exactly how much it is absorbed by the flux. I know too little isn't good and too much is as bad. I need to connect two 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi all We noticed water suddenly backing up through the pipe for the dishwasher drainage pipe yesterday - first time this has happened. When I move the pipe up vertically, the issue goes away. The dishwasher is new and was installed a few months ago. Looking at the pipe on the wall it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock