Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Tightness testing question..UP1B in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pssst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ladies and gents,

as you will know UP1B gives guidance and procedure when carrying out tightness testing and the procedure covers the vast majority of domestic situations.

Allowances are listed which correspond to leakage rates with the proviso that .."there is no smell of gas". The procedure does not elaborate as to who would smell it,when and where and so i ask you,,when undertaking a test where there is a drop within permitted limits, do you ask the customer/resident if they have smelled gas and if so why? If you dont ask,why not?

I ask but word it differently, "no smells of gas, no?". I find if you say have you smelt gas they'll say things like ooh there was one time or something like that. I find this leads them to saying yes rather than letting them decide.

Always ask customer as well as having a good sniff myself after turning gas back on.

This is a question I would like an answer to, but with slightly different circumstances. An empty property, you reinstate the gas supply and there's a drop, within the limit, but the gas has been off, so no way of smelling it until now. What do you do? Sniff around and hope you don't smell it whilst you are there or trace and repair, which could open q giant can of worm? It's not a new installation, it's existing.

If give it fair care. To quote gas safe "you're the engineer on site" I'd always have a sniff around and see what I could find. It could be really obvious. Just cover your backside with paperwork

"Have you had or are you aware of any problems?"

That's what I ask before I even open my toolbox.

You see i think that if you the engineer are reading/applying UP1B then the statement "provided there is no smell of gas" relates to the Engineer and no one else. One might as well go out into the street and invite a passer by to have a sniff.

What if you had just undertaken some work,done the test,saw a small drop but could smell gas and the smell was attributable to the work you had just done?

The kind of leakage rates in the allowances would never be a danger to anyone anyway.

As croppie mentioned. On every job first thing I say to customer is "everything ok? Any problems"
Answer is no. Carry out tightness test. Have 2mb drop. No smell of gas. No problem!!

If customer mentions a smell of gas recently and you have any drop at all you are then duty bound to trace and repair.

I always ask if everything is ok, no problems etc. I think you can worry people into saying the wrong thing sometimes. And obviously see if i notice anything myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tightness testing question..UP1B in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time poster here and hoping for some help. I work on sites across the UK with different non-domestic gas setups, I never have to deal...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Been having a real saga and head scratching situation. I originally had 1 problem, and now 2. Original issue: Air being built up in...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock