Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Triple joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanke

Hi all
I need to drill 2 x20mm hols through a triple joist. What is the best tool ? I was thinking of an auger bit on my sds but not sure
Thanks

Sharp auger bit would do the job!

I'd use a corded drill rather than cordless, make sure it's not on hammer too! ;-)

Make sure the hole location & sizes are within regs too!

Auger or spade will do the job bit the difficulty is getting the drill in between the joists for that you need a decent sized angle drill augers are better as they pull in so dont need a much force but the lose there edge very quickly

Last edited:
*******. Brace and bit and blunt rusty flat bit . Nice Irwin blue speed auger . Mind the nails tho.

Angled drill def the only drill to use - nice level holes through the joist for pipes especially.
And use auger bit for speed & a clean hole, although if you want to avoid splintering the far side of hole - either stop the drill when you can see the point of the auger bit appearing & start from that side or have a piece of wood against the far side.
Use stubby auger bits for most jobs. You can buy cheap sets of augers which are decent quality if you don't abuse them or hit knots, nails, walls etc.

Last edited:
I have put my hex ended auger bits in my impact driver before to get in a tight spot litterely chews through joists like a beaver.

Hi all
I need to drill 2 x20mm hols through a triple joist. What is the best tool ? I was thinking of an auger bit on my sds but not sure
Thanks

id use my new ''kick bum'' makita bhp 458 rfe 18v cordless with a 22 zip bit and a zip bit extension, Film it and sell it to Makita for a future advert

A 20mm flat bit with a bit extension for three quid.

Flat Bit 300mm Extension | NoLinkingToThis

I have one of those. Always safer to put a quick wrap of insulating tape around the Allen screws after you've tightened them as the vibrations whilst drilling can sometimes cause them to work loose and fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Triple joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice, I'm planning small extension (3m) but pipes going like this. How they can be moved to pass all regulations? The blue is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi. What would you recommend for pipe support whilst running 15mm central heating pipes parallel to floor joists? My idea is to screw wood...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock