Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss WC leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robomonkey

Hi all I need some help, because I'm going to pull the last of my hair out soon.

I've installed a new wc today and I've got a leak between the flexi connector and wc pan.

Should I put a bead of silicone on the rubber seal and then push it on? I thought it should work without anything?

In googling the above I also found some posts about never using fairy liquid on rubber. I used this on the flush pipe because I couldn't get it in the pan, should I replace this and just force a new one in (do you use a screwing motion?)

I just want to get this done now, but I want to do it right, please help.

Was the flexi new?

Hi all I need some help, because I'm going to pull the last of my hair out soon.

I've installed a new wc today and I've got a leak between the flexi connector and wc pan.

Should I put a bead of silicone on the rubber seal and then push it on? I thought it should work without anything?

In googling the above I also found some posts about never using fairy liquid on rubber. I used this on the flush pipe because I couldn't get it in the pan, should I replace this and just force a new one in (do you use a screwing motion?)

I just want to get this done now, but I want to do it right, please help.

I sometimes find that some of the cheaper pans have rough finishes to the soil outlet, so I smear (great word) a bit of silicone on it before pushing home the pan connector.

Hi, the connector was new from a local plumbers so I don't know what brand.

So the general consensus is to use silicone, I've got Bal Micromax Silicone Sealant which is in a gun for sealing around the bath and tiles, is that the right stuff? Or should I get a tub of something.

what about the fairy liquid? Do I use this on the flush pipe as well?

Use ur silicone on both, smear it on the bits that do the sealing and give it a little rotation just to cover any missed bits.

Use ur silicone on both, smear it on the bits that do the sealing and give it a little rotation just to cover any missed bits.

Yeehaw

I hope I'm not the guy working on this in the future

Morning

Yes it is DIY, so should I use the silicone I have, what's the proper way to do it?

I use silicone lube. But silicone will fix fine. Just wont be easily removed

Does silicone lube make it stick and hard to get off as well, because I'm going back to the plumbers in a bit and if that's the right stuff to use ill get that, is it a spray?

ive just taken it all apart again, the flexi that goes into the stack, when I pull this out the rubber fins come off the flexi and stay in the stack is this common (I didn't use any silicone on this)?

I also noticed a lot of water standing in the flush pipe when I removed it, does this mean I had the angle wrong?

Post some photos

Makes it alot easier to help

Ok I've got 5 photos, ill do them in a few posts cos I'm not sure on filesizes

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 41
image.jpg

Sorry they're all the wrong way up, not sure why this has hapened

Where does the flexible part leak?

Does it sit nice and even on the outlet of the pan

I'm not sure, previously I had the cistern installed in the vanity unit (now on the wall) and couldn't see, but I could feel around the flush pipe and couldn't feel any water, it could have been the flush pipe, but I don't think so.

Having said that the leak did get worse over night, presumably the bottom of the pan reaches a level and can't lek anymore?

Get some prof help

Would love to, but can't afford it, had the boiler serviced last week that hit me for £300.

I've always got away without flexibles on cabinet based back to the walls and only found the need for them on closed back toilets with the soil in the floor.

If you must use that viva flexi then get some plumbers gold/stixall/CT-1 type modified polymer silcone and glue that pan con to the pan and leave ideally overnight and assemble before church tomorrow morning.

Well, Thanks for everyones time.

I reconnected the viva fitting without the cabinet and could then see a small leak / drip at the very bottom of the connector.

So I've taken it out again and refitted it with some of the Bal silicone, it's now drying. I'll plug it back in tomorrow and and try it again, if it fails again ill order a new one.

Is Mcalpine better than Multikwik?

Both are good brands, with pan connectors it whatever fits best.

Mcalpine do a nice connector for your situation.

mcalpine-wc-f21s__68251_zoom.jpg

Thanks, I did see that one at Toolstation and liked the idea of the jubilee clip.

I siliconed it on Saturday and so far its fine.

In the end I think it was the flush pipe and black grommet that was leaking, but I bought a new for that as well.

Robo - best advice

Get rid of that pan connector and only use McAlpine. That looks like a micky mouse flexi. I use McAlpine and 99% of the time never have a leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WC leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock