Discuss Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robbieh

I've just noticed a small wet patch on the kitchen ceiling, about 12 inches away from the wall and around the size of a cup coaster. Directly above is the bath, and I have removed the bath panel and there is no evidence of splashes/leaking.

In the kitchen, in the corner, again around 12 inches from the patch, is the boiler. Is it possible a pipe is leaking going into there? If so, what can I do to sort it without expensive hassle that I cant afford?

If I removed a floor panel in the bathroom would I be able to see the pipes from the boiler? They go up into the ceiling area but I cant see where they go after that.

Before you start demolishing the house check out everything in the bathroom. The last 3 ceiling damp patches I have been called to have all been a failed tap washer on the toilet cistern inlet and the water has tracked along joists before showing on the ceiling below.

Check your toilet cistern, washbasin tap connectors and washbasin waste. I assume you have already checked the bath waste and tap connectors.

9 times out of 10, if the water ingress is intermittent, it's caused by a poorly fitted or leaking bath overflow. The leak from a bathroom is also usually waste related.

Remove the bath panel, put the plug in the waste and fill the bath up until it reaches the overflow and check if this is leaking. Pull theplug out and then check the bath trap and all waste pipe connections.

Cheers both of you. I have checked the bath taps and plug, but not the overflow, so I'll check that along with the other suggestions.

No apparant leaks from any bathroom plumbing. My daughter splashed too hard in the bath the other day, maybe yesterday, and some water bailed over the edge, where we have some gaps in the silicone, wondering if that could be the culprit? Even though its nowhere near the area, it may have tracked?

I've marked the edges of the patch with a pencil and see if it grows overnight.

Dunno if its relevant to any ideas, but the house is around 12 years old, only we have lived here, and we have had a bit of water hammer (I assume) for around a year.

Ok, the patch has grown around an inch or so overnight. Any more suggestions?

Yep, gonna get that done today.

I was also thinking if I remove a floor panel in the bathroom, would I be able to see through to the kitchen ceiling, and therefore any pipes above it?

I've checked every visible pipe, including to and from the cylinder, and cant feel any wetness.

btw its a gloworm boiler in the kitchen.

If the ceiling is damp, then the best course of action would be to cut a section out of it and reveal the leak.

I had considered that. I was worried though that the leak might be rolling along a pipe from elsewhere and dripping there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys I know this ain't plumbing. But some of you may know. I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget! I've got a walk-in shower in a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock