Discuss What are you charging for a suite install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe brown

hello, I was just wondering what rates you feel are right for a bathroom suite install , This is a like for like swapover - Just a basic install, Iv been quoting £150 lately and still losing quotes because i am being undercut.

a saying from an old friend of mine is "no point of being a busy fool" i would like to see the workmanship of someone under cutting you. you can do jobs very cheep if you dont pay tax, use knock off tools, have no insurance etc:eek:

wouldnt recommend it though.

hello, I was just wondering what rates you feel are right for a bathroom suite install , This is a like for like swapover - Just a basic install, Iv been quoting £150 lately and still losing quotes because i am being undercut.
Is this a joke? even a straight swap over uses min £50 of bits to do, and your still being undercut?.

Oh my good God, I really hope all these people who come on the forum asking about retraining and how much your earning potential is see this thread.
£150 really, The customers who are going for lower than that are just plain silly, I hope it leaks. I have done bathrooms for low prices before but I didn't know it was this bad, maybe if it took a day and I could fit them in when I wanted, All the suite was allready there and no add ons old suite allready stripped out, tiling etc ....honestly I am shocked. Explain to the customers that you are a proffessional tradesman with many overheads and anyone willing to do it even for £150 is not going to be able to dedicate the correct amount of time and attention to do a decent job. Sometimes I get a strange look when I quote a Real price and the customer just can't get their heads around why my qoute is £20 more than the last guy, like there is some kind of exact price all plumbers should do the refit for. Pffffft.

the wife asked me to look for a second hand cross trainer for her (stay with me here) i googled and came across gumtree, which has a services listing page, had a look around different citys. if you want to see some guys working for next to nothing check it out. Out door taps supplied and fitted for £35 was one that stood out to me.

its like me jetting, if i charged pennys for it, then the seals om my pump pack in, there aint gonna be any money in reserve there to fix it.

less than £150, mental, most guys about here would charge £200-250 for a cash in hand homer. (£20-25 for bits & bobs) which they probably nick out of their works van, how can people charge under £150 for a job through a firm, suppose they could be cash in hand as well, but any way up it is cheap

at that price it is not even a day rate let alone £20-50 in parts. we all have our own short cuts to prohibit going back the next day on an install to edge tile etc, but if it dont work to plan you have to allow a couple of hours next morning to finish, even just to empty water out of bath and clean down.

i think the quality of customers is your problem. if they expect the job for £80 then they will keep going till they find 'anyone' who will do it for the price, even bill down the pub.
i have one answer to these custards and that is f.y.
let them do it while i find a real customer and do a good job for them.
after all, a job is not a quote,.

300 quid any less im walking away before the custard does!

get your joe bloggs from the local in to do the sub standard install- keep your wobbgly bath, taps wrong way around, and dont bother calling me for any problems unless you want me to answer the phone laughing....

regards q-plumb northwest

are you sure your being undercut or the fact the customer thinks your too cheap hence just telling you 'oh we got it cheaper?' save going through the motions of telling you your too cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:
As my grandad used to say, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I've seen these £150 installs - pipes roughly bent and kinked, Waste outlets higher than the pan outlet causing water to pool in the pan, basins coming off walls, rough tiling without using primer, basins not level, WC and basin siliconed to wall and floor as opposed to screwed, loose tiles, leaks and drips, second hand copper pipe and fittings etc.

I've charged more to put right these than the people originally paid for the swapover.

I have to agree I think £150.00 is way too cheap even for a novice,you have got to charge at the very least £250.00 to £350.00 minimum that way you pay for what you get a decent job for decent money. These diy'ers make me laugh watching you tube vids then telling us what we are going to charge pffff do it your-self then call me to put it all right for you at double the cost.:D:D.Keep Smiling,Regards. Hiretools.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What are you charging for a suite install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock