Discuss What spanners/grips you use for chrome rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could try using the correct sized spanner!

But you can never really get any spanner tight enough. Especially on chrome or some designs of nuts with rounded edges. And soft brass will crush a little on edges that pressure is applied to if nut is tight. Brass tap spindles are good example of this.
I know I am a snob but be like me and get into the modern age with a Knipex self constantly tightening smooth jaw spanner.

But you can never really get any spanner tight enough. Especially on chrome or some designs of nuts with rounded edges. And soft brass will crush a little on edges that pressure is applied to if nut is tight. Brass tap spindles are good example of this.
I know I am a snob but be like me and get into the modern age with a Knipex self constantly tightening smooth jaw spanner.

I am more a technician and engineer, I hate adjustables etc, they slip end of, hence why I use spanners where possible. not everything modern is better imho :)

I am more a technician and engineer, I hate adjustables etc, they slip end of, hence why I use spanners where possible. not everything modern is better imho :)

No doubt you are right, - I find adjustables are just a general do all spanner with which I have to make sure they are fully tight on the nut before using them. But they are fine on ordinary fittings. With some oddball fittings the nuts are not standard and a set of open end spanners won't cover it. I do have a set of Teng spanners which are nice quality and used for oil boiler work mainly.
The Knipex spanner just doesn't move on the fittings/nuts and shouldn't slip. That means it also shouldn't slide to the side of a fitting/nut and angle and slip off sideways. It also lets you 'grip' a fitting to hold into position like set of grips can do. And you can manually ratchet it.
Early days with the Knipex for me, but I find I always reach for it with some fittings and tap works. Trouble is it is yet another expensive tool cramming the tool box and making it heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What spanners/grips you use for chrome rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a gate valve that shuts water off to outside hose bib, and it leaks through the valve stem when open. The valve was installed 25 years ago...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, My first post so be gentle! I want to get this rad and the TRV will be sticking out as per this picture: I'll be replacing this with...
Replies
Views
Evening all First off a big hello from a sparky to all you fellow Plumbers/Gas Engineers out there. I'm not here to say who's better than who...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock