Search the forum,

Discuss F+E tank with no vent in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom brennan

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi i was just wondering if this is normal or it it was a mistake. the F+E tank never had a vent on it, we drained it down and it took 2 hours to get up and running. some of the air was coming though the cold feed to the primaries to the tank. I've had a look though my college books but can't find anything. thanks dom

22mm cold feed off the tank? Combined feed and vent. Bit unusual but allowed on certain boilers.

i don't really know much about this kind of things but if the pressure got to much it would usually go back into the F+E tank, so does it go into the Cold water storage cistern but wouldn't that contaminated the hot water

F&E is heating (primary)

Cold water storage is supplying your domestic hot water, via the cylinder, and cold tank fed outlets.

I assume the tank you are talking about is the f&e (smaller of the two tanks).

but the primary is the same water in the radiators so if that pressure got to high for some reason i would go into the cold water storage or would this never happen i tried asking my employer but he just said he doesn't know

No Dom when the heating gets warmer it expands back into the f&e tank back through the feed pipe.

Like Ted say's....the primary water in the rads will expand back into the the feed and expansion tank (smaller one) and isn't connected to the cold water storage tank (big one). So no chance of contamination.

Primatic cylinder is another thing to go into, but I don't come across very many.

Also, your employer probably does know, but is too busy to explain it, which is common. Hence why this forum is helpful.

Primatic cylinder.
The term 'Primatic' is a registered trademark of IMI.
Primatic cylinders perform the function of an indirect hot water cylinder with the primary services for a domestic heating system.

Primatic cylinders only use one supply cistern but functions as an indirect, automatically performing the duties of the feed/expansion tank in the double-feed system.

The working principle is based on the buoyancy of air; this considerable natural force is used to create the seals between the primary (boiler) and secondary (domestic hot water) systems.

Consequently, there is risk of cross-contamination between the hot water discharge and the central heating system, thus the use of treatment chemicals is not recommended.

If you only have one supply cistern, or your cylinder is marked Primatic, then you should not use treatment chemicals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I think you may have a primatic system? Maybe?
How could it be a primatic with an expansion tank. Think about it. Google myson appollo install instructions (among others) and you will see a diagram. Btw the correct name for a primatic (which as the above post, is a trade name) is a single feed indirect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to F+E tank with no vent in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi so I changed a towel radiator in bathroom from a normal radiator. I bunged the f&e tank and vent pipe , drained about a pint of water out the pipes. Altered the pipes to the new rad. Then removed the bungs. Gone to bleed the radiator it filled slightly now no air is coming out. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
J
Moved into an old house that has a vented gravity fed system (cold water tank and feed + expansion tank in the attic). I need to replace all ceased gate valves which is all of them... The feed pipe from the F+E tank to the oil boiler/radiators has a gate valve in the open position at the...
Replies
Views
I recently took off an end stop on the vent/expansion pipe over the heating header tank. I now know why it was capped off. When the 2 way valve opens to heat the hot water, water pours out of the vent pipe. I had a heating engineer out, he said get rid, open vented systems are now obsolete...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock