Currently reading:
flexi screwed on to iso valve

Discuss flexi screwed on to iso valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are flexis ok screwed on to iso valves ornis.a 1/2 female to 15mm compression fitting needed? I have filed the end.of a service valve before to give a flatter surface for the rubber. Whats everyone else do in this situation?

if you have filed it flat you should be ok but normally just use a 1/2 male iron

Some of the folk on here use a spare rad valve tail. Guess that's a free solution. :smile:
I prefer to use male straights (or sometimes male bends where more apt) and that means I can put the isolating valves at where I want them - usually lower in a kitchen or basin unit and the male fittings for at the tap flexis.

I've found the tail tap adaptors are too hard for an olive to bite into. Just file a nice face onto the valve (if you've already used up all your male irons...)

Was wanting to fo on to a flexi as it saves on a fitting

Saves on a fitting?? A 1/2" male straight is about 80 pence.
Or a spare rad valve tail is free.
To join onto an isolating valve is using the wrong fitting. The olive and nut you discard were there for a reason.
I wouldn't waste my time filing a valve

Swings and roundabouts for me. Screwing the flexi straight onto a ballofix is not correct but it works and using ballofix > stub of copper > male iron > flexi is adding 2 more joints which have the potential to leak and doesn't look as neat, so as I say it 6 of one half a dozen the other.

2 more joints done correctly though, do it the other way and you haven`t got a leg to stand on if it fails at anytime.

Has anyone seen one of these controversial joints leak? I can't think if I have but want to be able to sleep tonight!

So sorry to ruin your sleep but yes, or was it more to do with the cheap flexi? I`ll never know cos that got replaced as well.

Last edited:
If you over tighten it they do leak due to the face not being flat. I like the rad tail idea, I don't know why I have never thought of that before.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Has anyone seen one of these controversial joints leak? I can't think if I have but want to be able to sleep tonight!

Yes! Seen loads of them just having been slightly weeping, but I know of one where it leaked and eventually started coming through a ceiling. Done by a plumber. Just found the photos. First photo is how it should have been done. Second photo is how the plumber did it. Sleep well! :grin:

Last edited:
Yea whatever you do don't tighten straight onto the valve especially on a hot supply, overtime the expansion and contraction will cut into the rubber washer and eventually fail !

Washing machine hoses have the same problem with the rubbish washing machine valves you get nowadays

All the cheap stuff is made to a minimum quality hence price which lends itself to a cheaper job

just don't turn the handle after 6 months

That's why I prefer an inline quality valve. Small lever type for gas are excellent.
The washing machine valve then can be used just to connect WM hose onto, or I have used 15mm x 3/4" male straights if it has a decent flat face

So may start going for the iso valve then a 1/2 male above. Have always filed beforr and.never had a problem. Though this time working on new.builds have a full estate to do.

But obviously want to keep the fittings behind the pedestal to a minimum. So instead of a iso.and flexi. Would now have an iso then 1/2 male to.15mm compression fitting

All they need to do now is invent a ballofix 15mm compression one end and half inch male the other with the flat face. Jobs a good un

But obviously want to keep the fittings behind the pedestal to a minimum. So instead of a iso.and flexi. Would now have an iso then 1/2 male to.15mm compression fitting

Why worry? Adding a male straight will prevent the risk of a leak at the flexi flat washer seal.
Yes, you will have 3 compression connections, but they will not leak if you do them correctly. Only thing that can leak is if it is a cheap isolating valve fitted.
I have never had any bother or concern with brass joints where they are needed above floors.

Why worry? Adding a male straight will prevent the risk of a leak at the flexi flat washer seal.
Yes, you will have 3 compression connections, but they will not leak if you do them correctly. Only thing that can leak is if it is a cheap isolating valve fitted.
I have never had any bother or concern with brass joints where they are needed above floors.

or even better use a soldered male iron

All they need to do now is invent a ballofix 15mm compression one end and half inch male the other with the flat face. Jobs a good un

This sort of valve would do same. Not compact slotted screw type or cheap though.
image.jpg

Thank you is filling down one end of the iso to give a flat surface not an option?

Yes if it is your own house and you don't mind.
No if it is for a customer.
No if you don't want to waste time using a file.

Let's just say one of the flexis you connect to your filed down isolating valve starts leaking, maybe doing serious damage. Someone like me comes out to fix the leak and give a report.
The risk is I would first say - Wrong method and unsuitable fitting for connecting a washered flexi to. Then once I remove the flexi I would say someone has filed the edge of the isolating valve in an obvious attempt to make it do.
I would rather not give anyone the chance to criticise my work tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flexi screwed on to iso valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back