Search the forum,

Discuss Un-sleeved gas pipe, landlord saftey check. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCS - doesn’t exist anymore, do whatever you want
AR - isolate at Gas supply or remove fuse from
Spur with permission, attach label and issue notice
ID - disconnect, or my interpretation (cap off if going back tomorrow) and attach label/leave notice. I physically do not know where you are saying I am wrong?
It maybe me just being stupid?

just with with sleeve theyve upgraded it from ncs to ar which i dont agree with

so ar is cap the supply
Nope, because you remove the fuse from the spur or turn the gas tap to off position or pull the ecv to the off position (this is not a cap as you can Turn it back on with minimum effort). When you cap something you are disconnecting it from the supply. You only disconnect on an ID. NOT AN AR.

Edit due to bad grammar

If eventually we solve this and I am wrong. I will apologise for being wrong. But at the minute I am standing my ground on this one.;);):D:D

how do you isolate the install?
Yeh I get where your coming from I think. If you can't isolate supply appliance without isolating whole install affecting other appliances then you would can it at appliance but that's quite a rare occurrence...

Yeh I get where your coming from I think. If you can't isolate supply appliance without isolating whole install affecting other appliances then you would can it at appliance but that's quite a rare occurrence...
But that isn’t what the GIUSP say. That is an isolated instance that you would deal
With when in that position.

thing is the appliance in question is the gas meter so your turning off the gas meter ?

The main point here is the fact of the location, because it's in meter box there is unregulated gas pressure (up to 75mb) which could potentially have a much higher leakage rate. Also no dilution with air will take place in a meter box. The key point is that prevention should be in place to stop that entering the building in the result of a leak. Ie the sealing in this instance is more important than the sleeve providing no deteriation of pipework.

As it stands its AR and turn off. Sealing it would lead it to be non compliant and advise customer regarding sleeve.

If it wasn't in a meter box it would just be non compliant regardless of sleeve or seal.

Hope this helps!

The main point here is the fact of the location, because it's in meter box there is unregulated gas pressure (up to 75mb) which could potentially have a much higher leakage rate. Also no dilution with air will take place in a meter box. The key point is that prevention should be in place to stop that entering the building in the result of a leak. Ie the sealing in this instance is more important than the sleeve providing no deteriation of pipework.

As it stands its AR and turn off. Sealing it would lead it to be non compliant and advise customer regarding sleeve.

If it wasn't in a meter box it would just be non compliant regardless of sleeve or seal.

Hope this helps!
The point about the meter box is the point I was making and the reason I was asking which gas pipe. But thanks for the support. ;);)

Nah, ID capped , AR turned off , with the owners permission of course .
If owner disagrees with AR turning off, do I need to fill out a form and attach a label and what should I do then if they don’t let me turning the appliance off when having AR ?

When having ID i will cap the meter or the appliance with customers permission, issuing a form and label it. If customers doesn’t want me I would need to call transco don’t I ?

I just want to be sure as I never done that but perhaps one day I come across something like this.

Thanks

@Matchless.plumb I cannot go through all this again mate:p:p. Really sorry. But the short version is if customer refuses either an isolation (AR) or disconnect (ID) (a cap off is not a disconnect which is needed for an ID) you call CADENT not Transco. Hope this makes sense if not I will type it all again and try to word it better;);)

Just to chuck another spanner in the works , I did my ACS last week and couldn't believe what the assessor was saying ... this is new ish , I didnt know.

Only for certain AR’s , if whatever you are AR-ing doesn't actually remove the risk , you can leave the appliance on !!!! Its in the new niceic books .

Just to chuck another spanner in the works , I did my ACS last week and couldn't believe what the assessor was saying . this is new ish , I didnt know.

Only for certain AR’s , if whatever you are AR-ing doesn't actually remove the risk , you can leave the appliance on !!!! Its in the new niceic books .
But you still have to leave a notice and it is still AR?

Sorry I was wrong for once

Sorry I was wrong for once
If that’s the case mate. It definitely doesn’t happen often. :p You are one of the first people I would come to for advice as I know that you have a wealth of experience and knowledge (a heck of a lot more than me) the reason I was pushing so much was it is what I had drummed into me for years when I was on the cards. I panicked for a second that I had been doing it wrong all this time. But the rules are constantly changing so we are all wrong at some point.

I don't quite understand... Surely everything your at risking...by isolating the appliance it's going to remove the risk or am I being thick?

I don't quite understand... Surely everything your at risking...by isolating the appliance it's going to remove the risk or am I being thick?

No your not , I thought exactly the same thing when I heard it , as we went through the re-assessment they would ask AR , turn off ? leave on ? . No joke this

Eg ( copied out off book ) no AECV at point of entry into a building where one is required, that is AR but its AR “leave on”

Last edited:
No your not , I thought exactly the same thing when I heard it , as we went through the re-assessment they would ask AR , turn off ? leave on ? . No joke this

Eg ( copied out off book ) no AECV at point of entry into a building where one is required, that is AR but its AR “leave on”
It’s called ‘AR no action’ and the best example I can give you is a built over PE service. Dropping the handle will not in any way reduce the risk as it’s upstream of the ECV, however the situation is still AR
AR No Action has been around for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Un-sleeved gas pipe, landlord saftey check. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock