Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss WD40 in nut on water pipe - should I be worried? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I needed to replace the braided water pipe for the hot tap as I was putting everything back together; I placed the female end into the copper pipe and before tightening the nut below it, I thought I'd add some WD40 into the nut just to make it easier to tighten.

I then realised, given it's a water pipe I shouldn't have used WD40. So, before tightening the nut I cleaned away the WD40 with lots of wet tissue paper - rolling the tissue into sharper points so I could clean the nut out. Then I poured a fair amount of water over the nut and the female end to get rid of the WD40 and then used more tissue paper - finally, I put everything back together.

Is there a possibility of WD40 contaminating the water supply thus making it unsafe?

IMG_1362.jpg

yes you will be fine you’ve flushed any of any residual out

...so the hot water is for washing then. ;)
Not necessarily. :) The pipe connects to a sink with a mixer so potentially it could be used to drink water from. I know most people drink from the cold tap but some people like to mix the two and it's easily done where someone can pour a glass of water from the tap and realise after drinking it, that's it not from the cold tap.

Hope that clarifies things, sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

I'm fairly confident it's not an issue as the female pipe was inserted into the copper pipe and hammered down by myself before I sprayed the small amount of the WD40 onto the nut. So, whatever remained of the WD40 after pouring copious amounts of water into the nut and then cleaning it with tissue should remain in the nut and if not it would have diluted after running the tap for an hour.

I just needed to hear it from someone else for the sake of being diligent. :)

:) Ahh my bad, I'd never considered somebody might accidentally drink hot water from the hot water tap or even on purpose. Fine from a combi not so much from a store, an old ingrained habit.

Last edited:

Reply to WD40 in nut on water pipe - should I be worried? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my...
Replies
Views
I have just had 2 new vented hot water cylinders installed by a plumber (not yet finished) however I am a little concerned as the pipes are not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock