Search the forum,

Discuss Carn't Get Cistern Lid Off New Bog in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mmmadman

Hi All

I bought this modern bathroom suite from B&Q and I cannot get the lid off the cistern. The dual flush button is in the lid, I have tried turning the button surround to see if its threaded. I only want to have a look inside and make sure nothing is loose before installing........!!!!

Many thanks..............:)

push one button down lift the other one out , then use screwdriver. ....photo?

get some sticky tape press onto large button and try to pull it clear.
the little button will then slide oif.
then unscrew the screw and lift lid off.

if its the b and q bog, you need to unscrew the outer ring of the push button mechanism.

I have the same problem I am frightened of breaking something and making it worse did this work for you? Mine is a modern toilet made by SEREL the water keeps running after the flush and I want to get the lid off so I can try and fix it This is my first DIY and I'm a bit intimidated. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eileen George, check that the flush pipe is not pushed too far into your cistern, if it is , this will open the flash valve and cause the water to keep running into the pan

she can check flush pipe without getting in. just loosen and pull down about 10mm and see if that helps.

Sorry loosen what? The top has a circle around two push down things I've tried to undo the circle bit but it doesn't seem to be unscrewing the lid is tight on and I'm afraid of breaking it - Thanks I do appreciate any help

Thanks, it has SEREL on the side but I can't see any more information I can phone the shop I bought it from and ask if this isn't enough information it has two push down things on the top which are sort of half circle and fit into a silver coloured round ring I thought this is probably a common problem and I'd be able to find a video link or something on how to repair it I don't want to make things worse I'm in Australia would that make any difference? Thanks again for trying to help

The only web link I could find was to offices in Turkey. Couldn't download any images of products.

the flush pipe is the pipe between the cistern and the toilet pan where the water drops through, try undoing the plastic nut under the cistern and gently pulling the pipe down about 10mm. that might be enough to stop it opening the flush valve. make sure you dont get any drips frome the other end of the pipe at the toilet pan tho.

Thanks guys but the cistern fits right on top of the toilet there are no pipes visable it's a lovely tidy job but I can't get into the bloomin cistern I'll find my courage and phone the shop I bought it from at the weekend thanks again

Oh dear I think i have done this one, do you mean it is one of those over stylish ones where you cant see the pan connector, if so the serel one , you have to take the toilet out to get the cistern off as it sounds like you have a faulty drop valve , I would call a plumber as it can be a total pain.

Yes please don't tell me the whole toilet has got to come out just because the cistern is dripping after I flush! This near to Christmas I can't afford to get a plumber out for a job like that

Whoever invented bogs like this wants shooting.

Quite agree - designed by a spotty teenager no doubt or at least by someone who doesn't think there's any more boom and bust - ie it won't ever go wrong.

find an identical drop valve is the only answer to not pulling out the whole thing. Either that or float valve needs adjusting.

Yes please don't tell me the whole toilet has got to come out just because the cistern is dripping after I flush! This near to Christmas I can't afford to get a plumber out for a job like that

oh, come on.

plumbers need xmas pressies too.

Might I be allowed to suggest keeping a bucket of water next to the WC? Then you can pay for a plumber after Xmas.

:)

I can't find an exact whatever it was as I can't get into the cistern to do anything it's all sealed up and thanks for the bucket suggestion We get charged for all the water we use and I can hear my money just running literally down the toilet I'm going to summon up my courage and talk to the guys I bought it off surely no one would sell a toilet with no access thanks for your thoughts

either unscrew silver ring with buton as said or use a screwdriver and push one button down and pop the other one out then unscrew the white screw.

Thanks, it's Monday morning here now so I'll try and pluck up my courage and give it a go on Saturday wish me luck

Still not got around to trying to taking my cistern lid off (I was the original poster)

The thing is, do I need to, I was only going to have a look inside, its brand new from the B&Q Cooke & Lewis range, will it of been tested for leaks before leaving the factory...?

Cheers........

being from b+q it will have siamp innards which are rubbish

Oh, is it best to change the inards now then and what for? it wasn't a cheapo item from the store, it was around £600 and was delivered direct, its by a make begining with "C"....?

Oh, is it best to change the inards now then and what for? it wasn't a cheapo item from the store, it was around £600 and was delivered direct, its by a make begining with "C"....?

fluidmaster,this is good kit,keenly priced try pts or screwfix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Carn't Get Cistern Lid Off New Bog in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock