Search the forum,

Discuss Chlorination of 63mm mdpe incoming cold mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharp Point

Evening folks, I'm about to commence work on a 8 bed new build dwelling, the custard has just emailed me, asking if i know anything about how the incoming mains from road( about 130 metre run). Is it a requirement before or after Anglian water connect it in the road? I've carried out chlorination of schools in the past ( very boring job) but how is it carried out pre or post connection? Do you need a special qualification to sign off a clean out?

Thanks

Evening folks, I'm about to commence work on a 8 bed new build dwelling, the custard has just emailed me, asking if i know anything about how the incoming mains from road( about 130 metre run). Is it a requirement before or after Anglian water connect it in the road? I've carried out chlorination of schools in the past ( very boring job) but how is it carried out pre or post connection? Do you need a special qualification to sign off a clean out?

Thanks

dont the water board do it after they tap in?

flush n go, its domestic isnt it? dont suppose your storing cold water in a new build

i would just get a firm in once the main is in and ready to flush, they will supply the test certificate needed for the water board.

I think you & your customer are in for a bit of a shock unless things have changed in the last few years. Once you go over 50mm on mains the pipes need to be swobbed out by pulling a chlorine soaked rag through the whole length of it. The trench will need to remain open until they come & inspect it, thats all before they make the connection.

Just had a look at snowheads link, oh yes forgot about the samples as well, as others have said get a firm in but be prepared for a hefty bill.

Can you self-cert the internal stuff ? otherwise you may want to check out the water supplies T&Cs, Thames wanted min 10 working days to come & inspect the completed install, then up to 21 days before they would do the connection bit of a long time to have a completed house without a water supply (hope they have a temporary supply?

the best thing to do is get friendly with the local inspector and follow whatever advise/ orders he/she gives you.

live n learn, seems a bit ott but rules is rules

Our guys who install the main network on sites have to chlorinate their tools as they work & are not allowed to work if they have some every day infections.
I was not aware of any of this until I started this new job. Every days a school day.

Our guys who install the main network on sites have to chlorinate their tools as they work & are not allowed to work if they have some every day infections.
I was not aware of any of this until I started this new job. Every days a school day.

What sort of works are you involved in Chris?

Bet their interesting to deal with? Good luck with that! only interested as you seem up to date with most regs I wondered if you taught at a college.

Thanks for all your responses guys, all i can say is all this regulations is all :nono:!! What difference does it matter if the pipe is 20mm or 63mm, its still pipe and it carries the same water. I'm going to look into it and with the help of the custard( very clever man, up in society....wink wink) write up a certificate and following bs6700, we'll take the samples to be analyzed and then submit our findings. I think they'll find it hard pressed to say no with our combined experience/ qualifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your responses guys, all i can say is all this regulations is all :nono:!! What difference does it matter if the pipe is 20mm or 63mm, its still pipe and it carries the same water. I'm going to look into it and with the help of the custard( very clever man, up in society....wink wink) write up a certificate and following bs6700, we'll take the samples to be analyzed and then submit our findings. I think they'll find it hard pressed to say no with our combined experience/ qualifications.

its classed as commercial so could be used where the public is involved etc so everything is safety safety cover arse time :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your responses guys, all i can say is all this regulations is all B@llocks!! What difference does it matter if the pipe is 20mm or 63mm, its still pipe and it carries the same water. I'm going to look into it and with the help of the custard( very clever man, up in society....wink wink) write up a certificate and following bs6700, we'll take the samples to be analyzed and then submit our findings. I think they'll find it hard pressed to say no with our combined experience/ qualifications.

I guess you haven't dealt with many Water Undertakers about new supplies in your time than bogrodder, I would advise against that type of approach, they don't seem to care a tinkers-cus that you are the customer (whoever that may be) unless you play by their rules they simple will not connect you.

BTW, BS6700 has been replaced now with BS EN 806 parts 1 - 5 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chlorination of 63mm mdpe incoming cold mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers. We're in the process of buying a property which is a bit of a doer upper. One room houses the gas meter and boiler and we are keen on moving both of these to turn...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have a question which I hope to get advice on: Live on 2nd floor flat Boiler: Vokera Easi heat 25c combi boiler Water supply: Incoming water for hot and cold water is via the mains water supply Boiler on kitchen wall is about 10 metres from bathroom Single mixer taps in kitchen...
Replies
Views
Martin K
M
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the waterboard and can't work out what's happening. For the past three months, they're saying we're using a huge quantity of water - 700 litres per day at...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can sanity check me! Bit of a project house - had an unvented cylinder fitted in the loft around a year ago. Gledhill horizontal, Worcester system boiler as well as wet underfloor throughout. As part of this we had a new 32mm MDPE mains fitted. This enters the house and reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock