Search the forum,

Discuss Reverse auto air vent devise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sammyt

Is there a devise that can be attached to a fixed ceiling shower head to allow the water to drain out once the shower has finished being used. There is pipework in the loft that we can attach a devise to.

Im in thinking something that's a reverse of an auto air vent. Or a durgo. Does such devise exist??

So we installed a new aqualisa digital system with a big 400mm shower head fixed in the ceiling.

Randomly the shower will will be heard running, only dribbling out from the fixed ceiling head but can run like this for a matter of 5-10minutes. Sometimes during the middle of the night which wakes them up.

i think it's the water sitting inside the large head dribbling out randomly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 84
you could put something in the bath to quieten the dripping? a thick towel maybe.

A vent won't really work as there isn't enough back pressure from shower to close it or it might work as valve works on floating rather than pressure? Normal Aav on top of pipe, once shower off it will open and allow air in and pipe and head to fully drain?

The trouble is you could fit something in the loft, but the water dribbling is in the shower head, so won't stop it. A small check valve fitted into the inlet of the shower head might help. ( but don't quote me on that)
Toolstation > Taps & Showers > Shower Valves > Shower Check Valve

thanks for the reply. the shower processor is in the loft, the outlet is a 1 meter run to the ceiling head, so I'm thinking of cutting in a tee with a devise like this just above, so when the shower is running with it's built in pump, no water will escape this devise, but when stopped will allow air in to let the shower head drain out fully...? Hope I've explain that correct

A vent won't really work as there isn't enough back pressure from shower to close it or it might work as valve works on floating rather than pressure? Normal Aav on top of pipe, once shower off it will open and allow air in and pipe and head to fully drain?
Might stick open !

Does an AAV allow air in as well? If so that could work.

I remember there being a device fitted onto the bottom of commercial shower hoses around 30years ago when Legionella controls were first being implemented.

Effectively a non return valve which was held closed by the water pressure in the shower hose, but then released to drain the remaining water in the hose when the pressure in the hose dropped.

I've tried searching but can't find them, they may have been prohibitted by later Legionella controls.

Won't work, needs a vacuum, it's meant for protecting unvented hot water cylinders

This is what I meant ;

Shower Accessories

You'll have to get creative to fit it to a fixed head and riser

Thia looks like it will drain the water via this actual devise which wouldn't be ideal in a loft?

Oh you have a digital mixer type?

talk to manufacturer, they might have a smart idea.

Hmm....an aav would do it but they notoriously leak.

i would test it with a cheap bottle type aav and if it worked fit a spiro top to be on the safe side.
Thread a bush onto the aav outlet to 3/4, put a hose connector and run a hose to a hole in the eaves. If it fails then water will run out of that and down the outside of the house, not fill the loft!

Not cheap but you're not exactly using the aav for its intended purpose so i would do that to be on the safe side :)

Hmm....an aav would do it but they notoriously leak.

i would test it with a cheap bottle type aav and if it worked fit a spiro top to be on the safe side.
Thread a bush onto the aav outlet to 3/4, put a hose connector and run a hose to a hole in the eaves. If it fails then water will run out of that and down the outside of the house, not fill the loft!

Not cheap but you're not exactly using the aav for its intended purpose so i would do that to be on the safe side :)

Thanks I will try this.

im hoping if I put the AAV a good meter higher than the processor the majority of the pumped water will go out the shower head and not a lot will be forced up to the AAV.

Ill ill keep you all posted

Aav might scale up but they normally leak when crud in top port. Hose good idea . I was going to suggest dosing pot with two 1/2 trappings and run one to a drain.

Auto air vent are renowned for leaking, you may end up with a ruined ceiling.

How about altering pipework so it rises a couple of inches towards the shower head, then drops into the head.

This will have two effects: 1. When shower is off the weight of water in the head will be much less as the weight of the water in the feed pipe will not be pushing too so less chance of loosing vacuum and dripping. 2. If it still drips, it will be a much smaller amount as the water will stay in the feed pipe and only the water in the head will drip out.

Auto air vent are renowned for leaking, you may end up with a ruined ceiling.

How about altering pipework so it rises a couple of inches towards the shower head, then drops into the head.

This will have two effects: 1. When shower is off the weight of water in the head will be much less as the weight of the water in the feed pipe will not be pushing too so less chance of loosing vacuum and dripping. 2. If it still drips, it will be a much smaller amount as the water will stay in the feed pipe and only the water in the head will drip out.

We've tried this, pipework from the processor rises up a couple of inches before it elbows down to the head, still the same problem, I think it's the amount of water that the large 400mm head contains.

So we put an AAV in the loft as near to the processor as possible, tested it a couple of times and it seems to have done the trick. But we are waiting for the customer to tell us if in dribbles anymore in the middle off the night which is when it mostly does it.

Auto air vent has been in for over a week and I've had no complaints from the customers.... Looks like its worked.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reverse auto air vent devise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
Hi my triton shower suddenly had no water coming out after Thames water doing work outside my house, the shower just started buzzing with no water at all, after testing an hour later water is dribbling from where the hose connects, please can anyone help what they think could have failed and is...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi all I had a new bathroom fitted about 4 months ago and all was fine until about a week ago. But now when I turn the lever to run the rain head there is a 30s delay until water starts coming out , very slowly then builds up to the flow I would expect. ( I can hear water running and filling up...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock